Monday, September 24, 2007

The Trinity

How often have you guys thought about the Trinity - what kind of impact it has on our beliefs, is it really a core doctrine, why the need for the nicene creed, and how it affects our day to day lives? I have to admit I haven't really thought a lot about the Trinity...ever. I've known that it was a core belief. I've known the basic tenants of it since I was a child. I've even known how to defend it at a very basic level for a long time. But I've never really thought long and hard about it before. Until recently, that is. The Trinity has been at the forefront of my mind a lot lately, and I've come to realize just how utterly essential this doctrine is to everything that we hold. It affects our beliefs, it affects how we view God, it affects how we view ourselves, and so, not surprisingly, it does have an impact on how we live our daily lives. We must live our lives in light of a trinitarian worldview. We need to know that God has always been in relationship with God and has loved that relationship for eternity past. There has never been a time when God lacked perfect fellowship. Simply put, the Trinity destoys all our hopes of being the center of God's "life." God has always been the center of God's "life" and He has never needed us. The Trinity is a wonderfully humbling thing. And oh how wonderful it is to be humbled by a loving God who loves showing us how perfect He is. Hopefully, Lord willing, I'll be posting more on this subject in the future. I'm sure they will be pitiful in light of this glorious truth, but I pray that I will learn so much more of the nature of my God through this study and be brought so much lower than I currently think myself to be. God bless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read Jonathan Edwards' "Essay on the Trinity"? That was the big eye-opener for me.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/edwards/trinity/files/trinity.html

Darren said...

I haven't. I know theresurgence.com posted an essay by Edwards on the Trinity, but I hadn't read it yet. I was planning to read it soon though. I wonder if it's the same one?

Lauren said...

this has been a theme in my seminary classes so far, especially in my Intro to Theological Studies class (ITS), as the professor refers to God as "the Holy Trin-i-ty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." Pretty much every time He brings God up. (And since it's a Theological Studies class, that would be often haha.)

I've wondered the same stuff as you, but have been realizing gradually the past few years how huge it is, and now I feel like I'm in the middle of a tsunami of it's significance. If you know what i mean.

Darren said...

Yeah. That's awesome!