Thursday, October 18, 2007

Gospel Series

I never blogged about it, but about two-and-a-half months ago I accepted the position at my church as youth leader. I'm not paid staff or anything, but I teach the youth (grades 7-12) Sunday mornings and I'm one of the youth leaders for our Wednesday night gathering (we combine with our "mother church"). So far we have gone through the book of Ruth, and the last two Sundays I have taught on heaven and hell. In teaching about hell, I centered on II Thess. 1:6-10. One of the phrases really caught me, and that is verse 8 where it says "dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus." After teaching about the eternal torment of hell and that it is those who don't know God and don't obey him that will endure that, I was deeply struck by the need to preach about what the Gospel is. In order for us to obey it, we must know it, and by knowing the Gospel, we will know who our God is. So I came up with a tentative eight-part series on the Gospel. Let me know if you have any feedback or additional topics that would be helpful to cover. Anyway here's the series:

The Good of the Gospel - God
The Object of the Gospel - Jesus
The Dilemma of the Gospel - Man
The Means of the Gospel - The Cross
The Effect of the Gospel - Sanctification and Glorification
The Enemies of the Gospel - Legalism and Antinomianism
The Power of the Gospel - God's Sovereignty and Evangelism
The Purpose of the Gospel - The Glory of God

That's it. Let me know what you think. God bless.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

i would go with "the dilemma of the gospel - sinful man" or "the fall" or something. the problem isn't man, it's screwed-up man.

this looks really awesome.

Darren said...

Thanks for your insight :) I was assuming the fallenness of man in the title while overlooking the fact that the Bible doesn't start with Genesis 3. There are two chapters before that and they are incredibly important and reveal the purpose of our creation and the devestation of the fall and the subsequent need for the gospel. Thanks again!

Brian Johnson said...

Just noticed you are a Youth Leader
and thought you might want to listen to these powerful youth messages by a 25 year old Australian Youth pastor called Craig C Ireland. This is the page:

http://www.christianaudio.org.uk/youth.html