Friday, July 25, 2008

Religious Affections

On a couple of occasions, I've taken advantage of the online reading club (I don't know what else to call it) that takes place on Challies blog. I read through "The Mortification of Sin" by Owens and this time they're reading through "Religious Affections" by Edwards. I thought this was an opportunity to be held accountable to reading through this great work and I jumped at the chance. So far I have read through the first section of the second part. It is shaping up to be a great read - perhaps one of the best books I have ever read. The basic premise of the book, if you aren't already aware, is to determine from Scripture what affections, or earnest longings of the will, mind, emotions, and inclinations, are evidences of a heart that has been genuinely converted and transformed. Already, in the introduction alone, I have been convicted of the weakness of my own affections and I look forward to future conviction and, Lord willing, a closer and deeper walk with God by reading this book and applying it's Biblical truths to my heart. I can't guarantee any future insights to be posted to this blog. Those who have read me for a while know that I tend to not finish what I start. (What a horrible reputation. By God's grace this must be remedied.) But hopefully, if I don't post about the book directly, you will see the gracious hand of God at work in the other posts that come. If you haven't yet read "Religious Affections," then I highly recommend that you do. If you have, perhaps consider reading it again. I have yet to dive into the meat, and already I am highly anticipating the rest of this book. Praise be to God for the wonderful gifts he has given us in the works of his devoted saints. May we continue to be drawn closer to Christ through their works and each other. Until the next post - God Bless.

1 comment:

Penn Tomassetti said...

I love the intro to the Religious Affections. J. Edwards was an extraordinary man in a lot of ways. Not an easy author to read. I never finished this book. I don't often finish books I start either. One (short Edwards sermon) I've read over and over is "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." That one is good, except for the part about Satan and his demons ready to attack those who fall into hell, I think that is unbiblical.

Hope you finish the Religious Affections.
Grace to you.