Saturday, January 06, 2007

My computer is healed!

Happy New Year everybody! I hope God continues to bless all of you this year and draw you ever nearer to Him.

Well, northern Utah has finally experienced its first really winter storm system. The mountains have gotten snow and the valleys have had a little bit so far, but a couple days ago we got 4-6 inches in only a few hours timeframe. It was pretty cool.

I'm not much of a new year's resolution kind of guy. My family never really did that growing up, so I guess it never became a tradition for me. So, instead of posting some resolutions, I think I'll give some music awards. (Totally similar, right?)


Top 5 Artists/Bands of All Time
In order to qualify for this list, I must have listened to at least two of their cds. One-timers and newbies are left off.
1. Shane and Shane (as if there could be anybody else in this position)
2. Sandra McCracken
3. Matt Redman
4. Thrice
5. Trace Bundy
Runners-up: Underoath, Norah Jones, Further Seems Forever, Johnny Cash

Best Guitarists I Have Ever Seen
1. Trace Bundy (If you think he's amazing when you hear him, you should watch him play. Incredible!)
2. Jason Truby, guitarist for P.O.D. (I saw him pull off a five minute solo flawlessly at a concert one time. Truly a great guitarist.)
3. Shane Barnard (I have never seen anybody do what he does on the guitar and sing like he does at the same time. God has really gifted him.)
4. Kellen Criswell, and Eric Ahern (I know, I know. They're my brothers-in-law, and I'm a little biased. But they are really good, even though they won't admit it.)

Best One and Done of All Time (The Rest in Peace Award)
1. Beloved, cd: Failure On

Best New Artist (New for me anyway, and discovered this past year)
1. Sandra McCracken (Thanks Lauren!)

Best Song to Listen to at the End of a Long Day
1. Rock of Ages (When the Day Seems Long), by Sandra McCracken
2. Say it Ain't So, by Weezer
3. The Long Day is Over, by Norah Jones
4. In a Little While, by U2

Best Song that gets the Adrenaline Pumping (Renamed the Queen Award or the We Will Rock You award)
1. Music Box, by Thrice
2. Running from me, TrustCompany
3. The Earth Will Shake, by Thrice
4. A Moment Suspended in Time, by Underoath

And now the moment you have all been waiting for: the final award of the night.
Best Albums of All Time
These are the cds that I can listen to over and over again and never tire of them. If I were stranded on a desert island, these are the cds I would want with me.
1. Tie between Clean and An Evening with Shane and Shane, by Shane and Shane
2. The Builder and the Architect, by Sandra McCracken
3. Facedown, by Matt Redman
4. Silence, by Blindside
5. Adapt, by Trace Bundy
Runners-up: The Illusion of Safety, by Thrice; The Lonely Position of Neutral, by TrustCompany, The Pride and Prejudice Soundtrack; any other Shane and Shane cd (I thought I should only pick one or two of them for the top five); MMHMM, by Reliant K

That just about does it for me. I welcome discussion, comments, or jokes aimed at my musical tastes (or lack thereof, depending on your view).

1 comment:

Lauren said...

totally approve of sandra's high placement. dang she is good, isn't she?