Monday, July 17, 2006

Paid Time Off

I've decided that paid time off is awesome. I took my first day off today and was actually paid for it! Right now I'm trying to come up with some joke about how amazing paid time off is but I'm really not that funny and nothing's coming to me so I think that I will just leave that alone. I haven't really done anything much today. So far I've read a couple of blogs (Lauren's and Micah's [not Krishnan for you Utahns]) and a couple of articles recommended by them (both of which were very good). I got my 2 volume set of The Works of Jonathan Edwards in today! "Lucky! Have you taken it off any sweet jumps?" Not yet, but I'm hoping to later today (I told you I'm not funny). I think I'll start with The Freedom of the Will. I've wanted to read it for awhile now but I haven't had the will. Haha...ha...hmmm. This is starting to get bad.

And then I watched Elizabethtown with my mom while we had lunch. Pretty good movie. I liked the story and the soundtrack was really good. I'm tempted to go out and buy it. I have to say that both Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom aren't the best actors (albeit Orlando Bloom isn't that bad), but as long as they stay beautiful I don't think they'll be hurting for work.

My plans for the rest of the day: study some Greek, do some reading, and clean out my car, which needs it badly.

I do have a couple prayer requests also:

1. My dad went to the hospital yesterday. He's had really bad back pain over the last couple days that even made it hard for him to get to sleep. The doctor said that he has an arthritic lower back that flared up into back spasms. And if you know my dad you know that he runs a lot to keep his diabetes under control. So he is going to have to make some significant changes to his routine, which is especially hard for him. So keep him in prayer and pray that through all of this he will learn to depend on God even more than he already does and that he will long all the more for his true home in heaven. God's strength is made perfect through our weaknesses.

2. Pray for my witness at work. It seems that the more areas of your life that you try to submit to God, the more he provides opportunities to show His love and grace to those around you. Every week I have multiple opportunities to share at least a little bit of the gospel with the people around me. Pray that I wouldn't be ashamed of the gospel, but will speak with boldness knowing that if God is with me, then who can be against me. Jeremiah 1:17-19 is really encouraging to me in these situations: "'Now, gird up your loins and arise, and speak to them all which I command you. Do not be dismayed before them, or I will dismay you before them. Now behold, I have made you today as a fortified city and as a pillar of iron and as walls of bronze against the whole land.... They will fight against you, but they will not overcome you, for I am with you to deliver you,' declares the LORD."

3. Pray that God would grant me humility. Pride is an evil sin that seeks to replace God with ourselves and I know that I tend to be pretty weak in this area. I need to depend on God for everything and not myself. We have but one breath in our nostrils and it is entirely up to God to give us another one.

May God's abundant grace carry you through your day.

2 comments:

Micah said...

Is it the big blue 2-volume set? I remember when I first got mine in the mail over three years ago. I just started reading it from beginning to end, two pages a day. It took me two years to get through the first volume and now I'm about 200 pages into the second. I'd recommend doing the same rather than jumping around. The bio at the beginning is great. But you can't go wrong by starting with FOTW.

Three years later, I can tell you that those two volumes have enriched my life and revealed to me more of the glory of God than anything outside of the Bible so I pray the same blessings fall on you as you make your way through it!

Darren said...

Thanks for your encouragement. It really means a lot to me. My set isn't blue, it's green and beige-ish. But it is by the same publisher. As far as I can tell, it is just a newer reprint than the one that you have on your website.

I originally wasn't going to read the biography until later and just start at FOTW and read it straight through because I've gone over a few biographies of him. But then I saw that it had his resolutions and his diary among a ton of other great things. So I just might have to read the biography after I finish FOTW and then continue. Either way, I'm really looking foward to it. Thanks again for the encouragement.