Friday, July 21, 2006

The way I spent my Friday

I don't have a lot to post about but I felt like posting anyway, so here it goes.

I just finished playing a softball game for a city rec league. My church has a team and Tim and I play on it. Today we lost. And we won. No, we didn't play a double-header. Just one game. So how does this happen without going into the complex physics of the time-space continuum? I just realized, this would actually make a pretty good riddle. I'll give the answer at the end of this post. If you want, try and figure it out before then. If you do, let me know.

I bought a few cds today. All very different. I bought the soundtrack to Pride and Prejudice because it is simply some of the most beautiful piano and orchestral music I have ever heard (albeit I never was exposed to very much of it). Even if you didn't like the movie, you had to love the score. I also bought the new Dashboard Confessional cd. It's ok. The first few songs are pretty good. The lyrics are probably the worst I've heard from them over the years. There are a couple of songs that are pretty bad. So, if you like their current radio song and don't mind skipping a few songs (or can tune out the lyrics) then I would tentatively recommend it if you have money that's just burning a hole in your pocket and you really need to get rid of it. I give it a generous 2 stars out of 5. Finally, I bought the new Johnny Cash cd "American V". Excellent cd so far. I've listened to a little more than half of it and a bunch of the songs are very explicitly about God and our need for Him. His single "God will cut you down" is a really good song in both lyrics and sound. There are also some songs that will make you feel a little sad, maybe tear up a little. Really good cd so far. Until I hear the rest I give the first 2/3's 4 out of 5.

Ok, I have something to add to a newly created list of mine. The list is "Things that I now like that I never thought I would." One addition is lettuce on hamburgers. I have never liked it in the past, but now I kind of do. A little strange, but true. My newest addition is Jeremy Camp. I got his latest cd "Restored" because I knew that I liked the few songs I had heard. As it turns out, I love the cd. Lyrically it is really good and, even though it is relative, I really connect with the songs a lot. They really speak to my struggles and put them in a godly perspective. I never thought I would like Jeremy Camp. I guess that means that I am now only one step away from liking modern country. I can't believe I am saying that, but it is true. I no longer have the same distaste that I used to have for country, and can even enjoy watching parts of their awards ceremonies on tv. I guess the last step I have to take is to just suck it up and buy a cd. I just don't know if I am ready to take that step.

Ok, the moment you have all been waiting for. The answer to the above riddle is:

We were scheduled to play a game against one team but that team didn't show up so we won by forfeit. Then we played a scrimmage game against a team that also didn't have an opponent and had won by forfeit. In that game we lost. So we both won and lost. Although the win is the only thing that counted.

God bless and good night.

No comments: