Sunday, July 09, 2006

Some Jonathan Edwards

I've been reading some of Jonathan Edwards' sermons and I just started one titled "It is a Matter of Great Comfort, and Rejoicing to Anyone in Whatever Circumstances He Is In, When He Can Say That He Knows His Redeemer" and as far as I know it can only be found in either the Yale library or the book The Blessing of God edited by Michael McMullen. I've been going through a few things personally and this sermon really impacted me. If there is anybody else reading this that is going through some hard times or struggles I hope that this will encourage you. The main text is Job 19:25.

"He who can say, 'I know that my Redeemer lives,' knows him to be better than all, for as has been observed already, 'tis implied that he knows that he is the Christ, the Son of the living God. He sees in him that glory and excellency that is above the glory of all other things and sufficient to satisfy his soul.
This beauty is so great, so divine, that the light of it when it is so clearly seen is above all things sweet. It fills the soul with a light so divine and powerful that it is impossible but the soul should be withal filled with peace and pleasantness. A lacking deliverance and sorrow is not consistent with such light. What can be better to the soul than to see the face of the only begotton Son of God who is full of grace and truth, and while the soul has that sight, it will have comfort. In vain is the rage of Satan or any of his instruments to the contrary."

No comments: