Monday, July 24, 2006

"Today was a good day."

For those who were wondering, that quote comes from The Last Samurai (is that even spelled right, I don't know). I'll try to keep this short.

Today, for those who don't know, is Mormon Day. Technically it is called Pioneer Day. It is the day that this state was founded or when the mormons came from Missouri and settled in Utah. To tell you the truth, I'm really not sure. I just know that it is a big deal with the mormons and everyone else makes fun of them (yes all 2,000 of us). So to celebrate it, they usually have fireworks somewhere. And because the Huntsville fireworks were cancelled on the fourth because of rain, we had them tonight. So I watched the fireworks from the porch with my parents and Kellen and Jen (my older sister and brother-in-law). Before that we had dinner, I took a drive with Kellen, and we walked around the neighborhood with my younger sister and her husband's dog (they are on vacation). So this evening was really good and just a relaxed time spent with my family.

Today at work we had a few exciting things happen as well. I work in a glorified warehouse and apparently we have bats in the rafters. Today, we found three dead ones. I had never seen a bat up close before, but I can now say that I have. They are basically mice with wings. By the way, their wings are really cool. But that isn't the most exciting part. I was standing in a hall with my manager looking for a document and I looked down the hall and saw a bat flying toward us. I was pretty surprised and, I must say, startled and said something like "Whoa! A bat!" My exclamation freaked my boss out even though she didn't see the bat and she uttered a small scream. The bat must have passed about one foot or so behind us and I got to see it fly past and around a corner. I was pretty awesome seeing them fly. They are graceful flyers. God's creation is truly amazing.

Anyway, that kind of sums up my day.

P.S. I have listened to the entire Johnny Cash cd a couple of times and the whole cd is great. I give it my full recommendation (which probably doesn't mean that much but you should check out the cd anyway).

No comments: