Monday, May 01, 2006

Blog title

I was just taking a shower and a thought hit me about the title of this blog (thoughts often hit me in the shower). When I named this blog I decided on the title "a flawed expression of God's glory" for two reasons. The first is that I am a flawed expression of God's glory. I was created to worship and glorify God but sin gets in the way, even in my new life in Christ (Gal. 5). The second reason is that everything that I post on this blog is a flawed expression of God's glory because it can never capture His fullness, there will be errors (both in word and motive) and I cannot escape my sinful nature, even when I write about God. So the term "expression" carries two different meanings. In the first reason, I use the word expression to refer to a picture. I am a flawed picture of God's glory. In the second reason, I use the word more traditionally to refer to the written expression of my thoughts. But this is where the thought that I refered to at the beginning comes in.

This is my thought: We are flawed expressions of His glory, and perfect demonstrations of His grace. Both of these have to do with our sinful natures. Because of my sin, I can never, on this earth, be a perfect picture of God's glory. I am a pot created by Him (Rom. 9) but I have imperfections because of sin. But, because I have a sinful nature, I became a perfect candidate for God's grace because if I didn't have a sinful nature and never sinned then I wouldn't need the grace of God, but rather I could be justified through the law (Gal. 3:10-13). Therefore, I am a perfect demonstration of God's grace in that I couldn't be saved or justified or perfected apart from His grace. Therefore, I am both a flawed expression of His glory, and a perfect demonstration of His grace.

I apologize for any rambling or disconnected thought. But I thought that it would be useful and helpful to understand why I named the blog the way I did. I also thought that it gives a little glimpse of our relationship to God, which is far more important than any reasons I have for naming anything. We are sinners saved by grace, designed to live for the glory of God through His grace, to the praise and glory of His name (Rom. 11:36).

No comments: