Friday, May 05, 2006

Don't know why I'm writing

It's late (I know, I'm weak)

I felt like posting, but I don't really have much to say (this must truly shock all who know me).

I've found that I really enjoy Pride and Prejudice. This is very cool but also a little scary. Does it diminish my masculinity for liking it so much? I think not, but others might beg to differ. I really should go to bed. But yet I know I won't.

My parents are watching the second season of the West Wing for the second time. They have almost all the seasons on dvd (I was the one that started their collection) and enjoy watching them every night. I really can't understand why they continually cycle through them. I like the show, but not that much. But yet I always seem to find myself watching the shows with them. It must have something to do with not having much of a social life.

I just realized that Pride and Prejudice is the first fictional book I've read since I finished the Lord of the Rings series about three years ago. Wow, that's a long time.

Before I go, I'll leave you with one of my thoughts about God that hit me again today. The fight for joy is truly a fight. It isn't easy and it never is pleasant and always ends with me crying out to God to restore my joy. It also comes with the realization that I don't fight hard enough or in the right ways. Often my fight is trying to ignore it, or replace my joy in God with joy in something else, which is idolatry. In order to fight properly, we need our weapon, the Word, and the strength to wield it, which is the Holy Spirit. In other words, we need to read and meditate on the Word and be praying constantly. We need to throw ourselves down at the merciful feet of Jesus and declare "You are all I want, You are what I need, You are my first love and there is no one that I desire more than You. My flesh yearns for you, my soul faints for you. I thirst for you as in a dry and weary land." During my fights for joy, one song keeps coming to my mind and it is truly the cry of my heart. It is "Be Near" by Shane & Shane. It is based off of Psalm 73 (on which my brother-in-law Kellen preached an awesome sermon the other Sunday). The chorus says "Be near, O God, be near, O God of us. Your nearness is to us our good." We need God to be near. We need to declare with Asaph, "Who have I in heaven but You? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides You." (Ps. 73:25) Praise God that He allows us to enter into His sanctuary and learn all the more about our dependence upon Him. And that is the purpose of the fight. To humble us, and get us to rely on Him more and more. He withholds nothing good from those who walk uprightly (Ps. 84:11). May God's grace be upon all those who have experienced this fight and will continue to experience it throughout their (our) lives.

1 comment:

Darren said...

I just realize two things. The time on this blog is wrong, I posted this at 11 p.m. I'm not as weak as it initially seemed (though I am still weak). Also, I can't write concisely. I just keep on talking/writing. Even now, I am trying to think of something more to say, just to say something. I apologize to all those who read my blog :)