Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Pride and Prejudice

So tonight I will start my journey through Jane Austen's (I don't know if I'm spelling that right) "Pride and Prejudice." Some might be wondering why on earth I would do that. There are multiple reasons for this (hopefully none of them are sado-masochistic) (I don't know if I spelled that right either). The first is that I recently watched the two-hour version on dvd with some of my family and really enjoyed it. I realize that for those who love the book that this might not have been the most accurate portrayal. However, I have also watched the A&E six-hour mini-series and I enjoyed that as well. So I decided to read the book.

But there are some more important reasons for why I am reading the book. I realized them after I watched the most-recent version. I realized that, as a single guy, I often an looking for or desiring a relationship just to have a relationship and not because there is a deep and abiding love for that person, or even a hope of that. I just want a relationship. Pride and Prejudice made me realize that my true desire is for a deep, Christ-like love and not a casual affection (not that I have experienced either of those). But more importantly I saw that this story reflected (albeit very dimly) the relationship between us and Christ and how Christ yearns for us and how desperately we need and desire Him, even though most of the world doesn't know it. To me it reflected in a small way the yearning in Psalm 63. So, by the grace of God, this book will help me to love God more and learn a little bit more about God-glorifying relationships.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

your spelling is just fine...