Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Something to pass the time

To be honest, there is something I would much rather post about, but I don't know when I'll be able to give anybody details due to the fact that it's not my news. So I'm trying to just pass the time between posts.

Since I just posted a meme (I'm with Micah, just what is a meme anyway?) on books I thought I would do one on movies. Maybe I'll copy Lauren sometime in the future and do one on music. Here it is (with blatant plagerism from both of their memes):

1. Best movie of all time: There are a lot of movies vying for this spot, but I think I'll go with Gladiator or maybe Last of the Mohicans (my sisters call this the "man training movie"). I love those movies.

2. Best action/war movie: Without naming the above movies, I would say Black Hawk Down. And the best part is that it is a fairly accurate portrayal of what happened.

3. Best comedy: I have to admit that I am a fan of stupid comedies (Happy Gilmore, Dumb and Dumber, etc.). But I think that the best would have to be The Goonies (not a stupid comedy by any stretch). Runner-up: Much Ado About Nothing

4. Best "chick-flick": Pride and Prejudice, without a doubt. I would say the 6-hour miniseries rather than the two-hour movie, but we're talking movies here, not miniseries.

5. One movie that you saw more than once in the theater: Pirates of the Carribean. I think I saw it at least three times.

6. One movie that you thought you would hate but ended up loving it: The Ringer. I know it sounds horrible, but it really was a funny movie and didn't make fun of the mentally handicapped like I thought it would.

7. Best movie quote: "Hello. My name is Enigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." - The Princess Bride (and for some reason, I don't think I got his name right, it has been a while since I watched it).

8. Movie you can watch over and over and not get bored: What's up Doc? If you haven't seen this '70s comedy with Ryan O'Neal and Barbara Streisand, then you haven't lived. I've been watching this movie since I was a kid and I still watch it and laugh at all the same spots. Absolutely classic.

9. Movie that should be made: Yeah, I'm stealing this one and the next from Micah. A decent version of The Scarlet Pimpernel. I watched one version, and it was terrible. They need to do that book justice in the movie world.

10. Movie that never should have been made: This is an easy one. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. I did like Episode 2 and I loved Episode 3, but this movie made me want to run back to the original series. Let's face it, they just can't make them any better than the original trilogy.

11. Movie that made you cry: Okay, one more rip-off. Hotel Rwanda. I didn't cry until the very end when all the emotional tension that's built up is just released when they find the wife's nieces at the end. Tears of joy and grief just start streaming. Just embrace it, because you can't fight it.

12. Best movie not on this list: The Indiana Jones Trilogy. You gotta love those movies.

Bonus Question
Best miniseries of all time: I had to throw this one in. It's a tie between Pride and Prejudice and Band of Brothers. I love both of those and could watch them over and over.

Anyway, that's my meme. I won't tag anybody because it just doesn't seem right to tag someone with a meme I came up with. I don't know why, I guess it's just me. But if anyone would like to do it for fun, then feel free to copy it.

I'll let everyone know if I change my mind on any answers. I'll also be spilling the beans here on the first topic after they've been spilled in the real world.

1 comment:

alk said...

I could guess but I'm afraid I'd be right...