Thursday, August 17, 2006

Why am I still awake?

I have not gone to bed before 11:00 so far this week. So why am I writing this? I don't really know. This week has been crazy so far. Every night's been late (at least for me), I've been doing something every night that usually involves thinking and a lot of involvement, mentally and spiritually, and I've had some tough days at work. Today, at Kellen and Jen's place I just crashed. I felt like I had been through the spiritual and emotional gauntlet and was just melencholy (that's the only word that seems to fit). It's like you try to gear yourself up for something but lack all energy and desire. What a help the psalms are in times like these. By the grace of God, the Holy Spirit brought to mind Psalm 23 and 19 and the fact that it is God and His word that restores and revives our soul. I think that God brings these times into our lives so that we will understand a little bit more that we can't stand on our own, but we need to rely on God for everything. It's like we are a house that has one support under us: God. But we think that we need something else so we stack straw, hay, and twigs to help hold the weight of the house and steady it. God brings storms along to knock away these false hopes and supports and get us to trust the One and only support we need. God is our only pillar and we need to stop putting up false supports. God's grace is sufficient for us and in our weakness he is shown strong. I know that I need to humble myself, be weak, and give the glory and honor to the only strong and sufficient God.

He restores our souls for His name's sake. His word revives us. Come, let us return to the Lord. For He has torn us, but He will heal us; He has wounded us, but He will bandage us. He will revive us, He will raise us up so that we may live before Him. Press on to know Him for He will come to us like the rain.

No comments: