Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Submission long in coming

Today I finally submitted to the will of God in a certain area of my life. To set the scene, I found out that there was someone who had something against me, which was making this person feel incapable of fellowshiping with me. I found out about this almost two months ago. The Bible tells us that if we know that our brother has something against us then we must go to him and attempt to be reconciled. I disobeyed that for the better part of two months. The minute I knew about it, I knew that I should call this person, but I didn't want to because of the pain that I knew would ensue. Then I read a freshword from Piper that really convicted me on this. However, if you check the date on that article, you'll see it was written in early August and we are now at the end. So I still wasn't obeying God, despite my conscience. Over the last few days, I have been really seeking the will of God for my life, particularly my future. But to do the will of God in the future requires that we pursue the will of God in the present and I realized on my drive home from work that if I wanted to do the will of God, I needed to call this person today. I'm not saying that I believe that I will now all of a sudden know what God's will for my future is, but it removes a significant roadblock in that journey.

Unfortunately, I didn't actually talk to this person, but I did leave a message explaining why I was calling and told this person that I really desired a call back. I sincerely love this person and desire fellowship again, but my actions (or lack thereof) over the last couple months haven't shown it. I know that there will probably be a good deal of pain to come in the near future, but that is often the path that love must take. I know that no matter how much pain might come, God is with me and will never forsake me. God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. May God humble me in this.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

boy do i know about this one! one time i dragged a friend out of the church service because i knew we couldn't take communion until i had told her i had issues with her and asked for her forgiveness. that was surely embarrassing, scary, and humbling, but i think it taught me alot about trusting that God will take care of me if i obey Him... and that even though i have no idea what that will look like, it's still all the info i need.

Darren said...

That required a lot of faith and obedience. I hope I will learn the lessons you learned. I know I need it. Isn't it awesome, though, that God has promised to teach those lessons to those who seek Him!? It may take fire and pain, but He has promised to give wisdom to those who cry out for it. The promises of God are so amazing! They are nothing like ours. He will always keep His.